Thread: Main panel / sub panel question...

Main panel / sub panel question...

Before I go to the electrician, I want to make sure my thought process is correct here so I was hoping y'all would be able to steer me straight.

I have a 100 amp main panel to the house (not nearly enough), I want to run a dedicated sub panel of at LEAST 60 amps to the shop. Now the question is, how do I do this without having to replace my main panel?

A coworker of mine suggested a smaller, high capacity (200 amp) panel feeding the two panels, and getting the electric company to run a higher cap feed to that, then dropping down into the existing panel, and diverting over to the sub panel in the garage, effectively making 2 sub panels.

Is this a good idea or is this asking for trouble?
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I was able to install a new full size panel (200-amp) and then feed the existing panel (100-amp) as well as a second sub-panel (100-amp) in a new addition. The existing panel was installed by the previous owner shortly before I purchased the house - so it was very new.

Another time I was not allowed to do this - I had to replace the existing older panel. I think you will need to check with your code official.

Do you need more space in the panel or do you require more amps?
    Last edited by Tom Godley; 07-29-2009 at 5:41 PM. Reason: wording incorrect

Add new panel

My house had a 100A panel that was full, including lots of half slot breakers. I had the power company bring in a larger cable and I added a new 200A main panel. I subpaneled the original panel (actually I replaced it with a new 100A) and also added a 50A subpanel in my shop/garage mostly for dedicated 220V lines. The 200A main panel also feeds my dust collector and six 110V lines in the garage, including the lights. You just can't have too many circuits in your shop.