Thread: Dumb Plane Jointing Question

Dumb Plane Jointing Question

I apologize in advance if threads on this already exist; I don't even know what to call the thing I'm looking for!

I want a plane or plane attachment for jointing edges 90 degrees to the face. I have seen the LV and LN "edge-trimming planes", but the blades are too narrow at only 1". I would be preparing stock wider than that.

I think I have seen pictures of larger planes with brackets or guides, but I do not know what they are called. Please help a noob out!

Mike

Is this what you are looking for?

Lee Valley sells two different Jointer Fences.
    One has magnets that attach it to any metal jointer. The other, and the one I have, is designed to screw to the side of their low angle jointer plane. This one works very well for me.

-- Phil

Thanks Phil, that is what I was thinking of!

It looks like only the jointer plane is pre-tapped for the screws. I wonder how the magnet ones work out in practice.

Thanks again -

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Peet View Post
    Thanks Phil, that is what I was thinking of!

It looks like only the jointer plane is pre-tapped for the screws. I wonder how the magnet ones work out in practice.

Thanks again -

Mike
    I have the magnetic version and find it works very well on my LN low angle jack - the magnets are very strong. You just have to make sure you have a plane with sides 90 degrees to the sole (that's why I don't use it with my Stanley jointers).

Don't forget that if you're prepping the edge for a glue-up, it doesn't have to be 90 degrees. Just joint both edges at the same time, and you will be good to go...

A guide like this is extremely easy to fab up out of scrap wood; two small c-clamps will hold it to the wings of your plane quite securely.

Stanley, MF, etc also made "Jointer Gauges" which clamp on to the jointer plane and have adjustable fences to set 90 degrees or other angles. I know match planing of joints is a contentious issue here but I like it -- and you don't need a gauge or fence.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a few options to noodle over now.

Mike

google "Shooting board"
    With the quotes