Thread: Veneer Contest Entries

Veneer Contest Entries

For those of you who work in veneer, here's the results of the 2009 VeneerTech Craftsman Challenge for your inspiration.

Some pretty impressive stuff. Makes the stuff I do look like Kindergarten work.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

WOW - very impressive stuff there. However, let's be clear here Mike - nothing makes your work look like Kindergarten work as it is outstanding.

wow - all the entries were great - lots of creative stuff out there.
    jerry
    jerry

Thomas Stockton is in the list of entries--he posts here.

Ugly, ugly, ugly...Hey, if it isn't ALL solid wood, it isn't "fine furniture"

Unbelievable. Some of that high school student stuff is amazing. Can't remember anyone in shop class turning out anything like THAT!
    I drink, therefore I am.

There are some gorgeous pieces, but overall I don't feel the quality and quantity was equal with previous yrs. Look back thru the previous yrs entries, and you may agree.

I did not care for the Grand prize winning entry. IMHO the apron(wood choice/color) and leg design looks awkward in relation to the table top. I did love the Marquetry Collectors Cabinet by Chuck Sharbaugh and John Harper's piece.

I applaud Veneer Tech for doing this. It shows what can and is being done with veneer and that it's not just a "cheap substitute" for solid wood.

Congratulations to all the Winners.

Earl
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

Yeah, I really liked John Harper's "Box with Shadows" (see pix). I may take some ideas from that.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,

That is a really nice box!! I wonder if it's hand or laser cut. Regardless, a lot of time went into the design and making it.

Have you seen Gregg Novosad's work? I believe he won Grand Prize last yr.

Earl
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.