Thread: Bar Top Finish

Bar Top Finish

I am making a desk and coffee table for my son's college apartment. We decided to try to match the look of the tables at Noodles & Co. They look like plywood on edge. We took some 2x12 LVL lumber ripped it into 1 3/4" strips, rotate 'em 90 degrees and re-glue them. A lot of work but not too difficult. I will run them through a local lumber yard's widebelt sander to smooth them.

Here is the subject question: I was thinking of using a product that is used on Bar and restaurant table tops. I know nothing about it and wanted some feedback from those that have used it. How is it applied? what about the edges of the table? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mac
    Mac

The finish you are referring to is called a Pour-On two part epoxy finish. Google "pour-on epoxy" and you will find info that should help. There are a number of brands and probably little difference between them.

The problem you can have with this type of finish is that it forms an impervious surface and no air will pass through. However air will get to the underside and cause it to expand/contract with changes in relative humidity. This will cause the surface to warp or crack. Pour-on finish is best applied to a composition substrate like plywood or MDF which is not affected by changes in humidity.

That said, it is probably the most rugged finish you can apply but it rapidly gets scratched and cloudy.

While I am not a fan of polyurethane varnish, college dorm furniture is probably a good use of it.
    Howie.........

Sounds nice!
    I would sand and seal all surfaces of the timber to prevent any moisture exchange and like mac said a two pack epoxy resin is best but we spray ours on over a few coats of sanding sealer. Miratone is the name of the resin we use over here in Australia I wonder if you have access to that? We found it to be pretty good. But thats not to say there aren't better products out there I just don't know, what products are you all using to seal your wood?

Mac,

I just want to warn about bubbles in the finish. My father in-law used this on his bar top and has some rather large bubbles in his finish. I think he was a little impatient with it and also didn't want to go back and clean up the top of the table afterwards. I won't say anything about it to him though

Just keep it in mind!

When you pour the Epoxy first pour a seal coat. Lightly run a flame over the entire top to have the trapped air bubbles gas out. Careful not to burn it by keeping the torch in one spot too long. Then pour the rest after a few hours and repeat with the flame. I would practice on a small top first.

http://www.uscomposites.com/kk121.html

I have used this before. There is a pdf that discusses using it.

I have also liked the look of the Noodles tables - post a pic when it's done!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!