Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Byrd Shelix for Jet 12" Jointer Planer?

Looks like Jet has it on their website now:

http://woodworking.jettools.com/Prod...76&cat=2560693

Called Woodcraft and you can get it as part of the 20% off sale for $2399.99.
    Last edited by Gary Venable; 05-15-2009 at 3:27 PM.

I bought one this afternoon at that price($2,399). Appears they dropped the list to $2,999, which is where it should have been. I'll comment when I have a chance to use it.

Jet 12" w Helical Head

Just purchased one of these with the OEM Helix head as well. Great reviews by the staff at Woodcraft in Newington NH. $2399.00 total (no tax in NH) If readers want to take advantage of Jet's First Ever 20% off event for this or any other Jet product they need to act TODAY. It ends at midnight tonight.

For comparison - I passed up an opportunity to buy a 12"Powermatic Aircraft Carrier (w/o the free planer thrown in) - with the aftermarket Byrd head installed - two years ago for the "low" price of $4999.00 at Barbo in PDX. Glad I waited! This Jet machine is tighter, more compact, retains the table length needed to surface longer stock accurately & snipelessly, switches over in seconds, and is capable of jointing much shorter stock than the average machine. What I really like most about the Helical head (besides the absence of 120 decibel tear/whine/roar) is that the cutting action "pulls" the workpiece down onto the table surface, instead of "pushing" it up and away from the cutterhead as I pass the board over the running blades. Feels a lot safer and smoother, not at all like you're subtley working against the machine. The Helix cutters have been known to leave tiny longitudinal lines in workpieces when not adjusted/tightened, or when nicked, but unllke the big ridges left by dull/nicked staight blades can be fixed in thirty seconds with a hex key by simply rotating the offending cutter 90 degrees (all four edges have pre-indexed cutting faces) and retightening, or WCS by replacing the cutter if completely worn out or cracked. A quick sanding easily removes any slight surface imperfections left by these cutters. Lousy, ridged cuts, Mill glaze, "hammered" surfaces, down time and fussy fine adjustments are a thing of the past. Will post a range report after I shoot some end grain quilted maple thru this baby.
    Last edited by Derby Matthews; 05-16-2009 at 3:05 PM. Reason: typo

Bad timing

I do not have a Woodcraft near me and their website doesn't have it listed. I just called customer service, but they closed at 5pm est on Saturdays.

Looks like I'm going to miss out on the 20% off. Phoeey.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Combo's

Quote Originally Posted by C Scott McDonald View Post
    One of their flyers for the 2009 new equipment had a picture of the jjp-12 so I thought they had released the HH version. Went to the website and no luck I noticed they don't have the jjp-12 listed under the jointer/planer section currently. You can find it by manual search so maybe it is coming soon. $3000.00 for it is still a pretty good deal. Take a look at other 12" HH jointers and see how fast the price goes up! Having a 400 square foot shop the combo machine would be worth it for me.

Scott
    The review on the Grizzly G0634 was very promising in the July issue of Wood magazine, they picked it over the Jet. Looks like a nice machine for 2495.00

Doug

Does anyone know where to get a good mobile base for the JJP-12?

Derby,

Did you get it yet or is it being shipped? If so, what's the verdict? Can you give any details about the Helix Cutter?

BTW, Congrats! I'll have one eventually!

Thanks,
    Erech

I made my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    Does anyone know where to get a good mobile base for the JJP-12?
    Here's my post. This has worked out well. I wanted handles so I didn't have to move the machine by pushing on the jointer beds. I used the mobility bases from I think MiniMax bandsaws for inspiration Pushing on the beds may well not have been a problem but I didn't want to take the chance. The downside to this base is the wheels on the back are fixed, so it requires a "5 point turn" to spin the machine. I know others have used Zambus or Great Lakes Casters mounted directly to the legs. This makes for a more compact and agile installation but requires pushing directly on the machine. I could probably put swiveling casters on the back of my mobile base to improve agility but so far haven't felt the need.

HTH

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-19-2009 at 4:05 PM.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+Mobile+Base

The above link shows the mobile base I made for my A3-31.

The semi live skid design of mobile base allows you to move the machine without touching the machine itself, and the base doesn't move unless lifted by the tow bar.

Regards, Rod.

Well?

Whats the word?? They work well? Inquiring minds want to know!!

JJP-12hh

Well I picked up the JJP-12hh today. It wasn't packaged extremely well but there was no damage that I've uncovered yet.
    We came with a pickup truck and Woodcraft loaded it with their fortlift, no problem. I asked if I could borrow the forklift but they declined. The ride home was uneventful(good) even though we didn't strap it down. Getting it off the pickup was a bit of work, cleverness prevailed and we were able to get it onto the ground to remove the crate.
    So much for small talk. The machine looks pretty nice. I'm not familiar with the surface they use on the tables, for now I'll assume they know what their doing. Everything operated ok in the checkout. I havent turned it on yet. I'll report on that later.
    After we got the machine on the mobile base I opened up the owners manual.
    As a note I had called JET tech before buying the HH and asking if there were any differences with the straight blade machine? The tech said none except the head and maybe a new switch.
    Well the manual provides two interesting differences: first the planer feed speed is 12 fpm, second they ask for a 30 amp circuit and a 30 amp 220v plug. The first is not surprising given the earlier info provided on this thread. The second has me baffled since they are still using #14 wire in their connection.
    Enough of my carrying on. I'll call JET tomorrow and if I get anything useful I write more.

Ed, the tables are machined flat in a way that leaves ridges lenghtwise. It is a difference process that being ground flat ( like blanchard grinding). Some users like the Jet ( and other similar tables) on the theory it has less friction, while others prefer the typical flat that comes on most table saws, etc. The main downside to me was that it took forever to get the grease off the tables ( I ended up using brake cleaner ). I prefer the look of a smooth finish, and think it is easier to use a dial indicator on a smooth surface, but I have no troubles using the ridged surfaces on the Jet.

Nice follow-up...and a question

Edward,
    Thanks for the follow-up.

The straight knife model has 20fpm and the helical model is 12fpm. Interesting. Did they change the pulley size and/or the motor speed?

I'm wondering why they now recommend a 30A circuit. The motor specifications on the website for both models is listed as 12.5A Are you able to see the data on the motor's nameplate?

One of the attractions for me was that I could run the JJP-12hh on an existing 20A, 240V circuit.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

I called Jet tech today and couldn't get any clear reason why they changed from 20a to 30a. I'm going to use my 20a circuit and see what happens. I spent some time reading ncwoodworkers.com and came to the conclusion that this should not be a problem. Time will tell. I'll write more when I know more.

Still haven'tpicked mine up yet. It's in Woodcraft Warehouse Limbo while I get this
    !$@^#&~(^* House Purchased and the equally !(#(%)#@*%*#W* loan pushed thru. I'd rather get pulled over by an Orthodontist than go thru this again. There, I feel better now....