Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matching TS with Incra Fence

Are you having to flip the fence because the positioner take up too much room on the right side? Just curious, haven't set mine up yet, but I have the 90+" rails and figured I would have enough room on the right side for any "normal" router operation

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Moore View Post
    You will love the Incra. I sure do. I have had it for years. The only thing I would change is the the router setup. I have my router on the right side of the saw. This required flipping the Incra fence to use the fence for the router. This means the TS is out of commission during that time. I make do, but I would probably use the router alot more if it was more accessible.

In the future, I want to have a dedicated router table with the incra router system on it and just the incra fence on the TS.

In regard to the selection of the TS. I have a Delta contractor saw and it has served me well. I modified it with a plate underneigh and some 4" piping and some plexiglass on the back and does a pretty good job with the dust. So there are options. With that said, doing it again, I would definately try to be patient to find a used cabinet saw. I could have easily found one for the price I paid for my table saw new. The next option would be to save the $ for a Sawstop saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Are you having to flip the fence because the positioner take up too much room on the right side? Just curious, haven't set mine up yet, but I have the 90+" rails and figured I would have enough room on the right side for any "normal" router operation
    Well, I have the shorter system. I have room to the right side. I think the problem is that I have the router table flipped so the router is to the right side of the table and under the lock lever. I did this, thinking that it would be easier to work the router from the end of the table. Now, I know that was a mistake. Maybe I will just switch it around so the router is closer to the table saw and it would eliminate my problem. I just did not really like the idea of working from the front/back of the saw and not being able to walk around the end as working a piece.

This got me thinking now and I am in a project at this time where I am trying really hard to do all the table saw work before switching to the router but knowing that there will be something I forget or will make a mistake or something and will have to switch it back around.... I think I will flip the router table.

Bill.. I would never question the purchase of the Incra fence to use as your permanent as I am an Incra fan with two miter gauges and a just recieved 29-49 telescoping fence. But.. I will add a comment for thought other than my original ones.

If.. you do get the Delta without fence.. how much more is one with a fence? I didn't look to see if one is even available but I did have a thought. If you can get one with a fence for say $75 more I would get it even though you are going Incra.

I have upgraded TS's around 5 times in 38 years. Even though you may not feel you will at this point.. don't rule it out. In each case I sold the old saw. Used saws are hard to sell without a fence generally. You could puchase one if that happened but.. you will pay more by purchasing separately.

So.. if you were to upgrade you would have a fence for the saw after you took the Incra off to put on your upgrade. Again.. just a thought if the price doesn't vary greatly with or without the stock fence and I really can't answer that in this case.

Good luck with whatever you do...

Sarge..

I think someone on the mill had the Delta T2 fence for sale at a reasonable price. They've also been known to pop up at good prices at Lowes...

Quote Originally Posted by John Thompson View Post
    Bill.. I would never question the purchase of the Incra fence to use as your permanent as I am an Incra fan with two miter gauges and a just recieved 29-49 telescoping fence. But.. I will add a comment for thought other than my original ones.

If.. you do get the Delta without fence.. how much more is one with a fence? I didn't look to see if one is even available but I did have a thought. If you can get one with a fence for say $75 more I would get it even though you are going Incra.

I have upgraded TS's around 5 times in 38 years. Even though you may not feel you will at this point.. don't rule it out. In each case I sold the old saw. Used saws are hard to sell without a fence generally. You could puchase one if that happened but.. you will pay more by purchasing separately.

So.. if you were to upgrade you would have a fence for the saw after you took the Incra off to put on your upgrade. Again.. just a thought if the price doesn't vary greatly with or without the stock fence and I really can't answer that in this case.

Good luck with whatever you do...

Sarge..

Thanks for all the advice. It really helped in my search, and I'm happy to say that I found and bought a very nice 6 year-old Dewalt 746 hybrid saw with a mobile base for $500. I think it will be a very nice saw when paired with the Incra fence, and I stayed within my $1000 budget.

Thanks again,
    Bill