Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant burl -- Too big to turn?!?!

Giant burl -- Too big to turn?!?!

I don't turn, but I know from visiting this forum how much you vortex people like burls. My brother-in-law just got back from a trip out west and some of the pictures he brought back of the giant redwoods were just eyepopping. I thought some of the turners here might appreciate these photos of an enormous burl. (At least, I think it is a burl, not precisely my area of expertise.)

Check out the first photo. From this shot it is hard to tell how big the burl is because there is no nearby object to get a sense of scale.

Now check out a closeup of just the burl. Perhaps you can get a little better idea of how massive it is from this shot.

And the final picture. With a person in the foreground you can see that this is really just a MASSIVE burl. Wonder what kind of horsepower would be needed to get that puppy spinning?

And before anybody asks, yes these are real pictures, no retouching, no photoshop, just resized to fit on the site.
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Yep, that there is a big burl. the third pic just looks like a lil red "x" though.
    Love them big sequoias!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Thomas View Post
    With a person in the foreground you can see that this is really just a MASSIVE burl.
    You can't fool us. He's really just 2" tall, right?

You can turn a bathtub out of that thing!!!

I think 10 HP would be enough, tell me where it is, ill start building a new lathe to turn it. How much concrete do you think ill need mark, 100 bags?

I can only see the first two pics... not even a red x in the 3rd?
    Wassup widat? Anybody know?
    But I would still like to get my hands on a burl like that!! Thanks for posting!
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Quote Originally Posted by alex carey View Post
    I think 10 HP would be enough, tell me where it is, ill start building a new lathe to turn it. How much concrete do you think ill need mark, 100 bags?
    Naa, at that point we just order a ten yard transit mix truckload! lol lol

I could do it!!! What do ya think a tractor axle for a spindle?

No red X's here

Nice burl! To bad the jail time to harvest it would not be so good! I got the 3rd picture just fine, must have been updated.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I don't see any of the pictures

Sorry about the pictures folks, I don't know what to tell you. I've been able to see them since I first posted and haven't done anything to "fix" them. Kinda weird how some people can see them and some can't. But for people who are having trouble, maybe you can go directly to my website where I am hosting the pics:

http://www.timandleia.com/imghost/redwood_wideshot.jpg

http://www.timandleia.com/imghost/re...l_noperson.jpg

http://www.timandleia.com/imghost/re...url_person.jpg
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

I can view em now, this morning I could see the first two but not the third.

Awesome trees! We have em near us in the sierras. Where did your brother get the pics?

pic 2 and 3 of the latest links you posted,
    no workie for me

Last attempt at posting the pics.

Alright, I'll give it one more go for folks that are still having trouble. (I still have no idea why it shows up for some people and not others. Some funky internet voodoo going on.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have seen bigger, but that does look nice. If I could cut that off I would take it to a sawmill, and get it slabbed and make a table or desk top.

find someone who is a wood worker who is on their deathbed, get them to cut it. no one would send them to jail.........
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!