Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laguna Tools Drum Sander

1. Laguna Sander

I have read some of the negative comments about this sander ... but there are things about the design that I really like. I wish that it were built better.

I don't know anything about their sander, but am familiar with Laguna Platinum.

I have been waiting 7 months for a replacement belt for my drill press. No, not seven days, or even weeks; 7 months. They have to have it custom made, and are having problems with that.

Anyone from Laguna read these things? 7 months! Is your equipment disposable?

Oh, their platinum cyclones look to be identical to the JDS.

I inquired about it around a year ago. A rep call me but said they didn't have any info to send me. About 4 months later I received 2 DVD's on their platium series tools and the sander was not on either of them. I happened to find a used Grizzly 18/36 on CL and am happy with it. I am surprised nobody has brought up Laguna's poor customer service directly. That and a tool with no history would make me gun shy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Swoveland View Post
    The fact that the motor is only 1 hp is going to be a problem. I have Grizzly's 12" baby drum, which has a 1.5 hp motor. If I'm sanding an 8" wide board I have to be very careful with the reduction in thickness per cut and the feed speed. It's very easy to stall the motor and trip the breaker. Sanding a 16" wide board with a 1 hp motor will necessitate razor-thin cuts, fed at a snail's pace.

BTW, the baby drum meets my needs very well. It cost me $495, but I see the price is now $525.

Cary
    These sanders are not made to take big chunks of wood off in a single pass, they need light passes. When I try to take too much off it trips the trigger, when I take lighter passes I have no issues.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs