Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Here goes (apology in advance for any strife), Bevel Up or Bevel Down Smoother......

Think about it,Matt. Suppose at a distance if 1/32" from the cutting edge,the blade was 1/64" thick,on each iron. What would it matter what the thickness was further up the blade?

I think you can make the argument that a tight fitting chipbreaker supports the cutting iron in a way that a thick iron doesn't as it adds support very near the cutting edge where any iron (no matter how thick) is thin. I also think that in most chipbreakers there is a certain amount of prestressing at least the tip of the iron which does contribute to it's rigidity. In planes with heavier chipbreakers this may be greater. In my ECE I can see a sight bow to the iron when the chipbreaker is snugged down and I assume it was designed that way. For the Stanley's I think historically the cost of the steel for the iron was a lot more than the cheaper stuff that they used for the chipbreaker. After all in the early days they just used the good stuff for just the business end of the iron and the rest was not of the same hardness or composition. Or course many fine BD planes such as C&W, Gordon, and Brese have no chipbreaker but they are bedded better than a Stanley. But everything I've surmised above may be a crock!

You guys all have far more experience on this topic, but I will venture out on theory alone. It would seem that in the process of cutting, a blade would develop vibration - although minute. Those small vibrations could affect the quality of the cut, and the actual efficiency of the contact between the wood and metal. Reducing those vibrations, by any method, should improve contact - thereby improving the cut. Wouldn't that be a primary advantage to a thicker blade - or a properly machined chipbreaker?

And, regarding Joel's comment about only the edge being treated in the old days - would not the softer metal in the body of the blade absorb more vibration, thus improving the cut.

This, from a guy that until recently owned just one old plane - and didn't know how to sharpen it! So, it ain't worth much! But, it may stir some more debate

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Think about it,Matt. Suppose at a distance if 1/32" from the cutting edge,the blade was 1/64" thick,on each iron. What would it matter what the thickness was further up the blade?
    If the blade does flex, I wouldn't expect it to happen so close to the edge. It would occur higher before the blade is supported by the frog.

Just a theory. The cooper's LONG bevel just looked to me like it was waiting to chatter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barlow View Post

For grins, read this
    http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/haspc.pdf

It's a comparison of several planes, interesting read, with some results that led me away form my initial BU low angle smoother choice.

I've also read some reviews of BU's that call them fantastic.
    You should read some of Lyn's postings in the forum on that site. (At the time of the study LV only had the one BU plane.)

Lyn's more recent comments show what you may consider a different perspective on BU planes. He even went so far as to say that if he could only own one plane it would be the LV BU Jack.

Brad

I'd say if I could only have 1 large plane,I'd agree.