View Poll Results: How aften do you drain your compressor?

Voters
252. You may not vote on this poll
  • After each use or day.

78 30.95%
  • Weekly.

13 5.16%
  • When I think of it.

138 54.76%
  • I'm supposed to drain it?

23 9.13%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, do you drain your compressor.

So, do you drain your compressor.

Just picked up a Makita MAC2400. Very impressed. Especially with the quietness compared to my old PC pancake.
    On that note it's made me curious as to how many folks actually drain the tanks of the moisture after the recommended each use.
    Last edited by Brian Penning; 03-16-2009 at 3:59 PM. Reason: Meant moisture drain

Hey Bri,

I do. Where did you pick up the Mak from? Have you checked on that molding yet? I'm just full of questions today, ain't I??
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I never drain mine.(Only when I leave a leaky air nozzle hooked up)Drain water out of tank occasionally, whioch reminds me I better do it.

John Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    Hey Bri,

I do. Where did you pick up the Mak from? Have you checked on that molding yet? I'm just full of questions today, ain't I??
    Got it from Home Depot ($319). Went to Frank's suggested location and no luck there. Will contact Ideal. Tough finding mahogany moulding. Might end up making my own though it sure won't have the look of rope...lol

Blog Entries
    I voted that I do it each use/day but I think you are talking about the moisture drain, right? If you mean the air pressure, I have a slow leak at my filter/water trap connection that auto-magically bleeds the system nicely in a few hours but is inconsequential during use.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Being in FL and on the coast to boot it is manditory or I would have a tank full of water in no time. Even if I lived somewhere else I would still do it. On a side note, I caputure the water from my house AC and during the peak months, I get on average, 18 gals. in 24 hrs. This is no exaggeration, it drains into a 20 gal. pastic bin and will fill it every day.
    I know it was here a minute ago ???

I voted when I think of it, which I haven't, so thanks for reminding me. Hope I remember when I go out to the shop next.

I voted for daily, but it is actually more than that. I have an auto drain valve that drains the tank several times a day. It must be effective, as I have never had any detectable moisture in the system.

PC portable, every once on a while
    [Usually when I hear the water sloshing in the tank]

My two 60 gallon uprights in the shop, I have an auto drain that cycles every hour, set at 5 second drain

Talking moisture drain,I said after each use, but with an auto-drain installed, it's actually everytime the compressor cycles. But as far as bleed to zero pressure, the answer to that is "Never". My compressor is a fixed, stationary installation and remains pressurized 24/7.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Voted for "Every day". I have the mac2400 too. Great little compressor. I almost didn't buy it, but saw it for sale on Amazon for $240 and couldn't pass it up. Even at the price you paid, it's worth every penny.

I have an automatic drain that opens up twice per day for 10 seconds. Once in the morning and once in the evening. I can also open it manually if I feel it needs it.

I have a 60gal Eaton Compressor and it stays pumped up 24/7.

Tony

I drain after every use. The stories of rusted tanks exploding motivate me nicely.

PS

WOW. I have a SPEEDAIRE 20 gallon, 2HP which I purchased in 1990 or so. I have bled the tank perhaps a half a dozen times. About half the time about a half ounce of rusty water comes out, about half the time some dry rust buggers up the valve. I live in central New Hampshire where the winters lead to very low humidity indoors, hence it just does not condense very much water.

EDIT >>>> SEE POST #19
    Last edited by John Messinger; 03-16-2009 at 6:50 PM.
    ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YMMV. IMHO. FWIW. SYOB. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Air tank explosions are very potent. I saw a picture of half of a garage's wall blown out by a big compressor that rusted through.Hole was more than 10' long,floor to roof.

The museum sold off a bunch of stuff years ago. One item was a nice looking Speedaire compressor,with a large tank. The museum weenies who used it didn't know to drain it. The tank must have had 20 gallons of water in it. There was a 2" dia. port on the tank. When the purchaser unscrewed it,rusty chips the size of a silver dollar came out,along with smaller stuff,and very brown water.