Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As promised: What is the best Air Filter system?

Hi Gary, thanks for the compliment, I am really happy with the filter/ downdraft table/outfeed table/ storage table. I'm really new to the creek, how do i post a picure on here. I've got several step by step pics of the project. I'd love to share them if you can tell me how.

Dale

I use photobucket as a host to present my photos on the web. It is a very easy to navigate site. I bring my photos up onto photobucket and then put them into folders so that I can easily find what I want. I do this before putting them on the web so I don't change the URL. It is then just a case of copy and paste. The bottom line says image code. When you left click that it copies it and then you can right click and paste it into your thread wherever you want it. This works on most sites other then those that have their own host that they want you to use.

http://photobucket.com/
    I want to create love in my woodworking with a love for woodworking.

Smile Pictures you guys wanted

DSC01753.jpg

DSC01749.jpg

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01752.jpg

Here are a few pics, i thought I had more but I will run out to the shop and show you what it looks like finished.

Dale

More Filter Pics

Just went to the shop and took a few more. I'ts not quite finished yet but you can see what it looks like. The rollers for the outfeed come out when it's being used as a downdraft sanding table. The filters filter out alergens, pollen, mold, as well as fine dust less than 1 micron.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by whit richardson View Post
    . . . Has anyone ripped a hole in the Space-time continuum and connected a flex hose to see how that works? . . .
    That may explain where some of our members have disappeared to.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Undoubtedly, someone in the 30K+ registered members at SMC has at least tried to do that...
    Probably so, that could be why Global warming is now cooling. Somebody didn't seal it good enough.

Dale neat dealie thing you got there...and cheaper to do too.

You know folks if I didn't need a WHOLE LOT of more skill in hand tools I'd just use hand tools and forget all this dust, particle, micron, filter, beer mask, breath holding stuff. Maybe I'll just work with pine and poplar, stain and paint everything I make and deal with it?
    Last edited by whit richardson; 01-06-2009 at 4:09 PM.

Dales filter system

So are we still waiting (I am) to see more pics of Dales filter system?

For me I have my new Grizzly 2HP dust sucker with some connections, shopping for a heater (Farenheat or Hot Dawg), good dust masks, then either make or buy a air filter/blower. Hmmm.. what's missing? Wood! I need a project and some wood!

8. Cool

....So where's the pics? We're still waiting ?
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    IMHO, the air filtration systems are nice to have to help reduce settling of fines in the shop, but they really don't do much for your personal health since you'll have already breathed the air before it's filtered. I only use mine when I'm spraying water borne finishes at this point exactly for that purpose...helping to remove the suspended material in the air so my shop stays a "little" cleaner. Efficient dust collection at the source remains key to reducing exposure to dust in our lungs.
    I really have to strongly disagree with you on this one Jim. I do think the little tinkertoy ones that are for sale are useless as they don't move enough air, and have nowhere enough filter capacity.

Pictured is a unit in my shop that turns on with the lights, so it runs all the time anyone is in the shop. It is a bit larger than the photo suggests as my ceilings are 15'. It has 8 common 20"x25" filters and I pull the air through at slow speed so the filters are very effective.

Without this unit running I can not breath in my shop, and everything will be very dusty in a week. I have a portable filter unit I use where I am working and I always use a collector, but there will always be floating dust in a shop. This unit cleans the air continually, and will stall the motor out in about 2 weeks of working in the shop, clogged with very fine dust. I vacuum it once to save money and change out the filters the next time I hear the fan pulling down. this unit will totally clean the air in a 500+ foot shop in about 5 minutes.

All of this very fine dust is dust I would have been breathing, dust that would have been kicked up many times over as material and tools were used, so it is saving me from breathing dust. It is not a single point filter, but it certianly makes my shop a better enviroment to live/work.

So...... I see your point that it is not the total solution, but I strongly disagree that they are no help to your health.

Wait till you see my new one!

I can't attach the picture as it was already in "Dust filtration experiment" earlier. Don't know how to link to that. Computor illegitimate, I mean illiterate....
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-14-2009 at 7:56 PM.