Thread: How should I dry cut burl?

How should I dry cut burl?

I have many cherry burls that have been recently cut. I am looking into cutting some of the smaller ones into blocks (probly no thicker than 4 inches once cut) and I am going to get the larger ones cut into 8/4 or 10/4 slabs. I was going to buy some anchorseal but am on the fence since covering cut burl with it will hinder the drying process rather than slow it down (right?). Since burl doesnt really have end grain, i am trying to think of the best method of drying these cust blocks or slabs so they don't crack or check on me. I am hoping that there is a method i can use that won't require me to let the whole burls dry on their own for a while.
    If I do seal the slabs, what should I seal them with so they dry without cracking and how long will such a process take. I was thinking about wax (like when you buy blocks at woodcraft). Anybody who has any knowledge of these processes i appreciate your help. Thanks!

I have a piece of cherry burl that a friend gave me. I quartered it and painted the exposed sides with latex. It may have been pretty dry to begin with, but I sliced some veneer from it and a couple pen blanks a few months after I painted it and had no problems. I can't say if this was the proper way to do it, but it worked for me!