I just bought a mess of hickory. It's about 40 board feet, and it was only $50 from a local dude that has his own sawmill (large band saw) and air-dried kiln. I plan to make a high chair out of it.

So some questions. Being a beginner, I am likely to ask some basic/goofy ones. I have read hickory is very hard on tools; currently, my planer is getting a little dull, and one of my tablesaw blades (combo blade mostly for cross cuts; I have a newer, sharper one for rip cuts) too. Should I go ahead and dull these fully with the hickory before replacing them, or replace them ahead of time? I would of course rather not replace them.

Second, what do you guys recommend for a finish? Since it's a high chair (read: Don't want to poison the kid, plus I don't have a month to wait for an oil based poly etc to cure), I was planning on using shellac. But the wood itself is a little plain looking, and I was tring to decide if a stain or a dye would be more appropriate. I put a touch of some NGR dye I had left over from a previous project, and all I got was muddy looking wood.

Lastly -- I have never made a high chair, and don't even know what dimensions would work out. I saw Rockler has plans for one, plus hardware; anyone have a high chair plan they used that worked well for them? I don't mind paying a little for it if it's tested!

Thanks.