Folks,

I'm not really happy with the tool rest that came with my Jet Mini lathe. It's not square so one side is higher than the other. It makes it hard to get the height of the tool relative to center consistent.

I ordered and did not like the modular system woodcraft sells because the rest is so tall (2") that I can't use an underhand grip easily.

So my questions are:

1) Does anyone use the round bar modular system like you can get at craft supplies or packards? I hear some complain that the tool is too far from the wood because the top of the round bar can never be really close and some like it because the tool glides so easily.

2) (This one seems like a long shot, but I'll ask). Does anyone have experience with the 12" tool rest that Fisch makes for their mini lathe? Supposedly it will fit a Jet Mini. You can see that product at Woodzone.com

3) Any ideas how to make one without welding?

I'm sure many folks can get one welded up to their specifications, but my local welder wanted $75, which is more than the modular system. Of course, we does work for a local factory and has to shut down his work for them to do a one off type thing and so he has to charge for it. I'm looking for a good solution.

Thanks for any help.

--Dave