All,

I am just about to purchase a band saw and have a few questions. First a bit of background. I am a hobby woodworker. My intended use for a band saw will be cutting curves, and some rewawing. I am looking at a 14" saw (with a riser block if it is a cast iron frame). I have been told that I will be very unhappy with the saw if I don't go to the PowerMatic 14 as a minimum starting point. OK, that will fit into the tool budget (just barely). I have read about the MiniMax saws, and they seem to be the real answer. I can't justify the 16" MiniMax, but was curious about the 14". As I understand, the 16" MiniMax is made in the USA and is a GREAT saw, the 14", however is a Tiawan machine and I have been told that a lot o corners have been cut. As I will have to live with this saw for quite a while (for ever), I want to get the best saw for the money, and purchase the tool only once.

Can anyone shed a bit more light on these two saws, and/or other saws that I should be considering? I am looking for something in the $900 range.

Thanks in advance for taking time to read, and hopefully, respond to my questions.

Greg