Thread: Odd question: Help mounting a 4'x8' rock climbing wall in my living room

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Odd question: Help mounting a 4'x8' rock climbing wall in my living room

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm needing help from the SMC hivemind. Here is what I'm working with (problems with the pictures, they are at the bottom).

So the wall itself is very simple. I'm going to round all the edges and texture paint it. And my 128 t-nuts should be in on Monday. But, I want to mount this in my living room in a semi-permanent and if possible, adjustable way. The wall it is going on is an interior wall: drywall, sprayed texture, and paint. My living room has a vaulted ceiling, so the ceiling line against the wall is a hair over 8'.

So I have two ways that I would like to accomplish this, and they are in order of priority.

(1) Simply mounting it to the wall in such a way that it won't move. If it needs to be leaning up against the wall a little, that is fine too, but I need it as flat as possible.

(2) I'd really like to be able to mount it flat, but be able to lean the top of the wall out, so I could have a medium overhang to work with. I'm really not sure how to do this simply without destroying the textured wall.

I'm moving within a year, so I want it to stay simple, and to do as little damage to the wall as possible. I don't mind patching some screw holes at all. But I don't want to have to replace the drywall, paint, and re-texture it.

I've had several thoughts about how to attach it to the wall. (1) Screwing some 2'x4's to the wall that would fit right inside of the outside frame of the rock wall, and then bolt them together. My mind keeps coming back to this idea.

I'm open to any thoughts and ideas. I know that the ideal way would be to build onto the existing wall, but that just wasn't an option for this project right now. This is primarily for my son (under 50 pounds), but my wife and I (I'm just under 200 pounds) will probably use it a lot as well.

If I need to take some more pictures I'd be happy to.

Thanks!

Luke
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luke McFadden; 06-30-2007 at 8:46 PM.