Called WMH Tool Group today and explained to a tech the whole story: new machine, stuck faceplate, cheap wrench, won't budge, spray lube and use pipe wrench, broke teeth on pulley, lathe dead, now what?

First thing he says is that there is a reason for the wrench being so small and frail. It is so I don't do what I did. He then says that there is a nylon washer they will? send me to put on the spndle to keep the faceplate from tightening down too much. (Isn't that like closing the barn door after the horses get out?) Next we go over a list of service centers, none are closer than 100+ miles. But I have no choice, so I pick one so he can send the parts, and they wil call when they get them so we can set up a time.

No mention of reimbursement for, say gas (@3.00 gal) or postage if I decide to ship a 100 lb. headstock with motor. (ups ground 61.66, fed ex 48.93 both one way.) I of course am not going to get into the whole wrapping up a day to drive it to/from and all associated costs that go with the trip, although my tech said that he drives 150 miles to and from work every day, so that doesn't phase him (boy that made me feel better).

BTW, after I took the cover off I took a pair of vice grips and clamped the broke pulley, stuck a piece of wood between the vise grips and the case so nothing would get scratched up, and gave the faceplate another tug and it still would not budge. The pulley, being some sort of soft alloy, just twisted in the vice grips. That baby is really on there.

There is no way this is going to work out to where I am satisfied.