Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio
I have a guy that's wanting to do some ADA-like signs (raised letters, but no braille).

Both the background pieces and the letters will be cut from Rowmark ADA Laser material.

My question is this: Is there an adhesive that requires significant pressure to bond, but will stick enough not to move before the pressure? What I'm thinking is to apply the lettering colored material to the background colored material, "kiss" cut the letters then remove the excess (weed) and then apply pressure to make the letters bond.
Joe, Rowmark makes regular ADA applique for that purpose that is 1/32" thick (regulation) and it has adhesive applied. What I do with rotary engraving is to set the type (so to speak) by lightly engraving my letter layout on my sign plate, then cut my letters out using the same graphic and apply them to the layout. I think you can do the same with the laser.
However, if you don't put Braille on the sign, it is not ADA approved and will not pass any kind of inspection. It is necessary to take care with these type signs, because their is a liabilty issue. ADA is a civil rights thing and if this sign was in a public place, a blind person could take issue with it and get your client in hot water. Not saying that would happen, but their are all kinds of people out there looking to make a buck. I have heard of cases where business owners were taken to court on small infractions. Better to be safe than sorry.
From your comment "ADA-like", maybe their usage is not for a purpose that requires ADA signage so this may not be pertinent, but it's still good advice I think.