I want to repair a door from a garage into a house. The door has nice (ish) veneer that is peeling off near the bottom. This has been becoming progressively worse over the last 10 to 20 years.

garage_door_01.jpg

Any suggestions on repairing this?

My first thought was to use a glue to secure the parts coming off and then to simply fill in the rest with some kind of wood filler.

My next thought was to score the veneer with a knife and peel it off straight across and then replace the veneer along the bottom (however high I need to go) and then secure some of the other areas with a glue (a super glue that is thin I suppose).

My final thought was that I could fix any parts that are peeling and perhaps fill in a few areas with a wood filler (I have some things used for architectural restoration) for a few small areas and then simply attach a brass kick plate. I might still want to apply a veneer or at least make sure that the brass plate covers the entire "not restored" area.

I am unclear what finish to apply to the door when I am finished.

The door is just under 30" wide so I can cut the kick plate to fit. Unsure what saw to use to cut the kick plate. Can I cut this on my chop saw that has a carbide blade?

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....th-Carbide-Saw

I could cut this with an angle grinder and then grind it to the line.

Any thoughts?

Andrew D. Pitonyak