New SCM Nova s520 approximately 1 year of service now. Last fall, I changed feed speed for the first time. BIG MISTAKE! Segmented infeed rollers somehow became wonky, very quickly deteriorating into 2 stuck segments. Stock fed under either of these caused entire roller assembly to raise up, then slam down, firmly enough to hear and feel through your feet as you stand nearby on the concrete floor. Naturally, quality of finish was no longer up to par.

Call tech support:
1> Requested a video. Sent shot of idler arm raising/slamming. Dismissed as normal operation, and was told, don't worry - can re-open if it is a problem. (Huh? then why did I call?)
2> Month later, tried to re-open support ticket. Problem only getting worse. Got ignored. Original tech absolutely refused to respond.
3> One week later, I read them the riot act, followed shortly thereafter by a response from a higher up manager. Says all communication will go through him now, and of course, need another video. This time, I sent one showing the effects of these rollers - even removing 1/32 to 1/16", you could see the rhythmic tracks that the problem rollers embossed into the hard maple lumber, with corresponding divots from the board vibrating each time the roller assembly slammed down. They agreed - stuck rollers. Told me they'd let me know next day ETA, as they had no parts immediately available. That was about December 19....
4> Figured at 6-7 weeks of quietly waiting for an overnight response, I should ask for an update.(around February 8). Five days later, still no response from same upper level manager on status.
5> Contacted sales rep, forwarded full string of emails. He forwarded to the head of surfacing division for the US. They said they'd check it out. Never heard a word.
6> Got back from vacation yesterday (10 more days elapsed), and lo and behold - there's an SCM package leaning against shop door. (ripped completely open, of course - way to go UPS)
7> Contact sales rep - any help available for the R&R? He says, contact same guy in upper management. They can help you through it. Right.
8> Found a YT vid this AM of a guy who purchased/rebuilt an older S520, with lots of details of removing /replacing head. Heck, he even fully dis-assembled the segmented feed roller assembly! Thanked him for giving me courage. Even though some parts have changed, I got the picture. 3 hours later, new segmented roller is in and working fine.
YEAH!

What's my point here?
1> Oh, how I wished I'd just bought and rebuilt an old one. Clearly, buying new gets you nothing but a smaller bank balance. Right at the top of list of worst customer service ever. Who cares that you just bought a couple of machines from them to the tune of $25k. Get over it, and fix it yourself. Just one big WTF, for any one considering purchasing a machine from SCM. As you've already guessed - no more Italian machines for me.
(Ironically, while wrenching on the SCM planer, my Felder rep called to check in on how I was doing with the shaper he sold me 2 years ago! Life's funny, right?)

2> Anyone know what in the world would cause a segmented roller on a brand new machine to do this? Cracked open the bad roller assembly, fully expecting a bent rod, broken spring or two, but everything seems in order. Very puzzled as to what caused it to malfunction.
Unless I can figure out just what went wrong, I've literally removed the speed change handle. Owner's manual simply states "carry out this change with the machine running", which is exactly what I did.

Thoughts, other than don't ever change speed again?

jeff