I've been lusting after a larger planer for awhile. I made the decision last April to keep my 16" 5hp probably 50 year old powermatic planer and upgrade it to a Byrd spiral cutterhead. Well the cutterhead came and is still in the box. It's a pretty involved process to install and with a 2 year old and pregnant wife, haven't had the time.

I recently came across a 6 month old 20" Grizzle G1033x with a mobile base. Good chance I can get it for $2k.

I should be able to then sell my powermatic and cutterhead for the same price if not a little more.

The question is should I? Both planers are heavy, 1,100lbs for the powermatic and 900lbs for the grizzly. Both are 5hp. The Powermatic I slapped ona new Baldor 5hp and it has an adjustable feed rate. The Grizzly has two speeds. The Grizzly is plug and play ready to roll and 4" more area of cutting. I think it takes up the same space since the motor is underneath too. The Powermatic currently works but knives are dull, it's loud, and will take a weekend to swap out the cutterhead to the byrd spiral.

What do the 'Creekers think?