Intro: I've been collecting some "users", a 7, a few 5's, 6's, and blocks. The plan(e hahahaha) was (is) to admire them 'till retirement, then start using them. I simply don't have the time or energy, but you wouldn't believe how cheaply I've picked these up.

Problem: It looks like I'll have to take them out of retirement (or retire sooner?). I got a 4" long, 1 1/2" wide, 3/4" thick piece of oak glued and screwed on already. Think of a stile on a face frame cabinet where you got some overhang on either side. Here's the problem, once I got it out of clamps, this particular piece is skewed 1/16 (it's mounted up-and-down, so 4" starts at bottom and goes up). Everything else "works", it's just this outside edge that's 1/16 proud at the bottom that's going to cause a problem, a rather obvious gap when I mate this with another piece. Removing and replacing is not an option, and I'm past epoxy/woodfiller phase of my hobby WWing. My knee jerk reaction is to whip out the belt sander, but past experience shows that's going to make it worse. So I'm here on the internet googling "plane angle into wood" and looking at a bunch of mint condition Stanleys......sharpening is not a problem for me, the soles are smooth and the beds are square. So how does one square this up? In theory it's perfectly clear (square?), but in practice I don't see how my inexperience is going to, even with the #5, take 1/16 from the bottom of this 4" piece and not take anything off progressively towards the top. I've already got a line scribed, so I know where to stop. I've tested this on some scrap and all I manage to accomplish is take 1/16 of the entire length of the 4" piece, despite consciously reducing downward grip on the fore knob the closer I get to the end.