Thread: Material Cart/Assembly Table/MFT -- RUWI Inspired

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Material Cart/Assembly Table/MFT -- RUWI Inspired

A year ago, I saw this amazing video of the RUWI top for their material cart:

https://vimeo.com/304834206

In desperate need of additional horizontal space and a decent assembly table, I decided I should have something similar. At the same time, David Best posted in the group about learning Fusion 360. Looking at the price of the top ($2k from Felder), I decided to 1) order a material cart from Rangate and 2) make my own top. After all, it was a learning opportunity with a primary focus on learning Fusion 360…

Well, the learning curve on Fusion is pretty shallow (people always get this wrong — a steep learning curve means that there’s a quick payoff to time spent). And it took my slow-witted brain a while to figure out where the pivot point needed to be to rotate the top from the compressed orientation to the expansive alternative (the absolute center of the top moves in a arc to the quarter point of the case but still on the longitudinal center line).

In addition, I had a number of other projects in the works, so after receiving the material cart from Rangate, I threw a couple of thick panels that were laying around on top and let the project stew for the fall, and for ski season, and, well, until I finished those other items that were in the hopper.

So, here’s the result. Here’s the result with the top in its compressed position.

IMG_3830.jpg

Here’s the top rotated on the case:

IMG_3833.jpg

And here’s the two tops are rotated 90 degrees to the orientation of the case — preparing for full extension.

IMG_3831.jpg

I use these cool 20mm expanding dogs to hold the two tops together when they are in the compressed orientation

IMG_3832.jpg

And there’s two drawers to hold all sorts of RUWI 20mm stuff. I ordered mine from Sautershop in Germany.

IMG_3835.jpg

It was a fun project.

Mike

Last edited by Mike King; 06-25-2022 at 7:11 PM.