Thread: Microsoft putting unwanted software on my computer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Microsoft putting unwanted software on my computer

I just recently purchased a new Windows 11 computer. No real problems there, I got everything copied over.

Then I received a notice from the Microsoft Store that it had installed a program on my computer - a program that I didn't want and had never even heard of. I was quite upset by this. I don't know what gives Microsoft the idea that they should install random programs on people's computers.

It took me a bit to figure out how to turn this off, but I was just flabbergasted that anyone could think this was a good idea. The only thing I can think of is that the companies who make the software pay Microsoft for each download from the Microsoft Store.

Anyway, wanted to let others know of this. To turn it off, you go to the Microsoft Store and turn off app updates.

Mike

[Some additional info on how to turn this off. First, you have to open the Store App, not go to the Microsoft store on your browser. Log in. Then click on your picture or whatever you use for your account. It will be to the right of the search bar. That opens up a pull-down menu and the last item is "App Settings". Click on that. The first item in the next page is App Updates. Turn that off.
    It took me a while to figure that out because the Microsoft Store was not updating an app that's already on my computer - it was installing a new program.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-26-2022 at 3:09 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.