Hoping to get some feedback on a fortunate problem that I have:

I was lucky to be gifted about 300bf of old mahogany. Beautiful stuff. Very dense, much more so than oak. Was stored in a barn for 40-50 years. But ... it was originally cut for flooring. Boards are flatsawn 5.5 in wide (with about 0.5 shiplap on both sides), nearly 1.5 in thick, and 121 in long. Plan is for a 42x120 table (with breadboard ends). While the figure is great, given the small width (about 4.25 in wide when shiplaps are cut and jointed), I will need at least 10 boards to span the 42 in. Given the varied oxidation from board to board, finding 10 across that just flow is a bit of a challenge. Additionally, after jointing/planing, these are dressed out to about 1 3/16 in thick, so I will probably have to glue two together to get a stable top that won't sag. However, if I rip the boards in half (2 in wide), and flip them, the quartersawn grain and color match a lot better. But (1) that is a lot of work and (2) I'm afraid this will look like a workbench repurposed into a dining room table.

The question: Should I rip and glue like a workbench, or just embrace the variability of the flatsawn grain. Additionally, do you agree that the top should be thicker than 1.25 to prevent sag when spanning a trestle base about 6 feet apart?

Much appreciated. Thanks

- Jake