Recent threads and videos have shown and discussed some examples. While I don't expect to build or use one I do have a few comments
There is a reason real elevators cost big bucks, there is a lot of engineering, expensive hardware, risk and insurance required. Given that and the nature of DIYers a few design suggestions may help keep body and soul together.

"Hurray, it works!" is not the right sentiment, "Of course it works" is better.

Fall prevention hardware can be used. There are ladder ascent devices and retractable lanyards that could be used with a harness when riding.

There are retractable lanyards that might be misused with some success to catch the whole elevator if it is light duty. If it doesn't have enough travel I can imagine it being mounted a couple feet below the top, allowing a scary preliminary drop. This is very much not recommended, but then,,,DIYer nature.

Safety Factor for this type of device should probably be 5. Test this. If you are using a hoist with 1000 sounds capacity, raise the elevator a couple of inches and pile on 5,000 pounds. If course it won't lift but it should not fail.

A fork truck is a good answer but not for passengers. A duct hoist is more affordable. There are small electric manlifts which can have many indoor uses.