First off, if I’m out of my element and this saw is not appropriate in this forum, let me know.

Anyhow, while picking up an old Baldor grinder from a guy cleaning out his dad’s house I made the mistake of asking if there were any woodworking tools he wanted to get rid of with the grinder. Well that wound up in four flats piled high with chisels (an inappropriate number of chisels), a Witherby drawknife and this crosscut saw. His dad was a smokejumper at one time and he said he wanted me to have the saw if I tuned it up and put it to use. Well I happen to have a volunteer trail maintenance trip planned in the Bob Marshall this summer and I convinced a local filing guru to make time in his schedule to make it sing again. The tote was broken and the bottom piece is missing, but I have some walnut that I’m going try to fashion a new one from. The plate is now clean and there’s a bit of etch still visible. Just to satisfy curiosity, can anyone help identify it? I think I can make out “clean cut” inside the circle.

724D88E3-1F69-4DFA-B37D-87AC884F4B85.jpg
1488909B-0AA9-4D04-ACD3-B3D5E493037B.jpg