Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
That's a beautiful, clean install! Wonderful design and setup.

'Hope you are all feeling better, too!
Thanks, Jim. We are better. I do agree that it has worked out well. To those who want to do something similar, I will tell that this is not the easy way to run ductwork. Tolerances are tighter and you have to plan ahead to have some adjustment in each branch to fit pipe together. Basically you run pipe from a hole in the floor to the dust collector closet so both ends of a branch are fixed. It was a breakthrough moment to realize I could attach a length of pipe to an elbow coming through the floor. I could easily check the pipe was vertical and could hold it in vertical position with a Irwin one-handed clamp on the pipe and resting on the floor at the hole. Ratchet straps can hold pipe in the plenum to a rafter acting as a second pair of hands while you close a clamp. A long skinny strip of 3/16” plywood on top of the rafters can put a floor under two fittings that need to be aligned for clamping. Elbows have to be aligned in the plane of the rafters. These are not tricks shown in YouTube videos. I referred to my daily battle as wrestling the galvanized python. And, to those who wonder, I would not like to go into business installing dust collector ductwork.

I can’t wait to get the system energized. There are a few more things for me to do to prepare for wiring. Then, the electrician will wire it up. I can begin to see the light at the end of the tunnel.