Thread: Dust collector noise reduction

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dust collector noise reduction

I am just getting my basement shop put together and just got my CV1800 DC set up - the motor and cyclone are in a separate cold storage room with the filters/ductwork in the shop going through a cement wall to keep the shop temperatures stable. I thought this would also keep the noise from the DC down but it seems like the loudest part of the DC is at the filters.

Now I am planning on building a small enclosure for the filter stack with soundproof material lining the inside of the enclosure and an access door to clean out the filters with a small baffle at the bottom to let the air back into the shop. Any advice on materials for the inside of the filter enclosure - I’m specifically looking at rockwool 2” sheets verses foam acoustic panels but I’m getting conflicting info online on which would be better. One article says the Rockwell panels are better at blocking sound and the foam panels are better at absorbing sound - does this mean I should line the enclosure with rockwool but put foam panels in the baffle?

any tips or advice would be appreciated. It’s a tiny room (15x11) so the noise is pretty deafening and I really need to do something to decrease it.

thanks
    Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images