Thread: Sorting out a super surfacer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Sorting out a super surfacer

I recently purchased a Marunaka ‘New’ Royal 10 super surfacer. The machine was modified to run on single phase with a static converter, I decided to remove the static converter setup and replace the controls with modern stuff.

A static converter kills HP which will be much needed as I will use this setup with much wider boards than the previous owner did.

The motor is an 8 lead Fuji motor and the wiring diagram for the machine had not been particularly helpful. The original wiring is something I took photos of, but wasn’t sure how to go removing the static converter. I took the motor to a shop and had it rewound, but they did not wind it to be a 9 lead motor, instead they duplicated the original arrangement and have some far not provided any info on how to hook it up. One of the guys are going to stop by my shop and have a look but they aren’t able to provide a wiring setup. Beyond frustrated by that but still trying to have this function without pressing them to rewind it again.

I replaced the motor controls (thanks, Malcolm!) with a modern setup.

Attachment 466835

This was what was originally in the peckerhead.

9AD90277-BC7F-4104-884B-8F8DCEF01F23.jpg
    994003D5-B7DD-4AC9-9EB8-7A6D4EC8E4CE.jpg

Here is the original wiring diagram, Mark Hennebury was able to source another and it looks pretty much the same, none of the wire labels correspond.

D50ECA2A-7621-4D2A-8620-6E63A0688189.jpg

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.