I'm in the process of finalizing my plan for the shop we have built.

IMG_1569.jpg

My grandfather built the barn as overflow for his equipment. I've been offered space in there to get my shop set-up. It's 50'x40' with some insulation/vapor barrier in the walls and ceiling, and with a clear ridge cap for light (only two windows so not much natural light). The bottom of the trusses are 12'. I've been planning to build an overhang on the back and put the dust collector outside. It's a 5hp DustVent with 8" main. I'd like to keep the dust and noise outside as much as possible.

With that said, I'm now looking at the best way to heat and potentially cool the shop. In the winter, I'd like to keep it around 45 with the ability to raise it on shop days. In the summer, I'd just like to keep it below 80, and likely have a fan or two to make it more comfortable. We have a 500 gallon propane tank out back that could be tapped into for heating.

So here's what I know: some types of heating are dangerous when DC is vented outside (backdrafts?)

People swear by radiant heat since it heats the tools/floors/people, that would seem to be less affected by external DC. I'm open to a multi-system approach or whatever others suggest. We stay fairly humid here - avg 65% year round and our temps average 30-80F.

I'll be laying some kind of rubber mat for flooring but I don't want to build up the floor right now. I'm sure there are glaring issues I'm missing so please offer any suggestions.