My basement staircase looks like this, a flight of stairs, then landing area, then another set of stairs,

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 5.26.02 PM.jpg

The whole thing was covered with carpet before, and I am removing the carpet and replacing it with wood treads and mdf risers(retro fit, i leave the old treads and cover them will 3/4 new tread).

There is the problem about the stair riser height, I see the code specifies that risers should not be more than 7 ¾ inches in height and that any variation of risers within a flight of stairs should not be more than ⅜ inch.

The existing landing area has no carpet now and needs to be raised. But it has an awkward height relative to the upper stairs and lower stairs

If I raise the height of landing area so the height between the stairs of the upper staircase match, then the first stair of the bottom staircase will not match the height of the rest of the stairs in the bottom staircase.

On the other hand, if I raise the landing area to make the lower set match, the height for the last step on the upper set will be too short(about half inch less then other ones in the same set)

I don't want to change the existing infrastructure, in this case, can I just go ahead and make one set match?