Thread: Veneer Replacement Technique

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Veneer Replacement Technique

I'm refinishing an end table and it's not going well. I guess there wasn't enough burled walnut veneer left on the top so I sanded through it in places. Well, I learned, so that's something. The veneer is framed by red oak boards. I'm considering replacing the veneer, maybe using a router to make room for the new piece. My fear there is I might end up with it too deep or not deep enough, or uneven, but it's the best idea I can think of. I'd be interested if you have a different way.

I contacted a veneer place and got this response:

"There is no way to do what you need to do. It's not something I've had success with either. The first challenge is getting the depth right and I think that could be nearly impossible. The second challenge is getting a veneer to fit exactly inside the frame which is very unlikely... partly because veneer expands and contracts bit when the glue is applied and has dried.

Your best bet may be to post your question on one of the many woodworking forums on the internet. I suggest the forum at Sawmill Creek (www.sawmillcreek.org). I have no affiliation with this site but this particular forum is responsive and resourceful. Give that a try because those guys and gals know a lot more than I do."

Can anyone recommend a technique that has worked in a situation like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images