Years ago I was over to a friend's house, and he was in the process of remodeling his basement. He'd taken out a 6x6 post and cut it into 12" lengths to burn. I winced, it was old clear old growth Doug fir, super straight and tight grain. I asked if I could take a couple chunks home, thinking I might resaw it into thin stock to make a gift box or something. Those pieces have been sitting on a shelf in the back of the shop for many years. I pulled something off that shelf the other day exposing them and thought I should do something with it and, since I've been on something of a sphere-making kick lately. . .

About 5.25" in diameter, bigger than a grapefruit, smaller than a cantaloupe. By my count it took 137 years to grow this piece of wood. You're looking at end grain, and you can see by the lack of curvature that this piece was a few feet from the pith. That was a very large, very old tree, probably well over 1000 years. Hasn't been buffed yet, not sure how much shine it will aquire.

Something about the picture makes it look like there are visible sanding scratches running somewhat vertically. I can assure you that's an illusion created by the wood itself.

Best,

Dave

Doug fir sphere 2021-01-02.JPG