Thread: Splayed leg table leg attachment

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Splayed leg table leg attachment

My sister wants to restore an old two teir table. The only real problem is all four legs are missing. I've come up with a design that She likes for the new legs and I think I have a way to securely attach the legs. There are leg slots in the bottom of the table that are 1/2" deep and about 2-3/8" long. They are intended for use with dovetailed legs. I really don't want to build a jig to cut dovetails on the angled ends of all four legs.
    IMG_0738.jpg
    I made some dovetail keys that fit the slots
    IMG_0739.jpgIMG_0740.jpg
    The slots vary in width to some degree due to wear. My thoughts are to use separate dovetail pieces attached to the top end of the legs with long wood screws and glue.
    The question is since the end of the leg is angled should the screw align so the shank is perpendicular to the dovetailed piece and on a bias to the grain of the leg as shown below:
    IMG_0736.jpg
    Or should the screw align with the grain and be on an angle to the dove tailed piece as shown here:
    IMG_0737.jpg
    Ultimately the leg will look like this when attached to the table top:
    IMG_0742.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-27-2020 at 4:37 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute