I chainsaw milled some red oak from a friend who had a tree taken down about 2 months ago. I made a couple large blocks to use as turning blanks, and I started turning one last night.

I noticed after turning last night, for probably around 20-30 minutes, that the chips that had landed on the lathe ways had already significantly discolored the metal. I keep everything coated in CRC 3-36 now, so this was surprising. I used CRC 3-36 with a green scotch pad to remove as much as I could, and left a film overnight. There was still some residual staining, but it wasn't too bad.

I also noticed that as I was turning, a black slurry was forming at the tips of my bowl gouges, and when I wiped it away, it stained my fingers.

I left it mounted in my chuck, and then completed the rough turning this afternoon. The chips once again stained the lathe ways, and some that fell on my bandsaw table also discolored it quickly, and I was using compressed air to clear them off regularly, so maybe on 5-10 minutes of them sitting on the table top, and there are still stains left.

I also noticed that some of the chips had black spots once they dried, which I didn't see while the chips were still wet right after being removed by the gouge.

On the chuck that had been touching the blank overnight, when I went to remove it, there was a black stain left on the tenon on the blank, and where the jaws had contacted the wood had turned black and had a layer of rust. These were brand new jaws, and this was the first time I had used them, so they still had the factory oil from Nova. I scrubbed off the rust and the black stain, and I believe they were already pitted some too. I also left these with a film of CRC 3-36 to help stop any further reaction.

This is only the second time I've turned green wood, the first was with some poplar, and it turned green very easily, and did not cause this type of corrosion at all. This red oak also seemed more abrasive, as I needed to sharpen my tooling quite often. I tried using both my 5/8" D-way as well as Crown Ellsworth, and they both dulled fairly quickly when turning the red oak, actually faster than when I have turned dried red oak.

Now, how normal is this?

Is this something I should be concerned about? It doesn't occur when I turn dried red oak, even ones that I've chainsaw milled from many years ago.

The tree had heart rot and some fungus growing on the outer sapwood layers and cambium, but I cut all that out with the chainsaw - could that still be a contributing factor?

General thoughts and suggestions?