Now that all the outdoor projects have been done this summer and the weather has turned downright oppressive, it's time to complete the indoor projects. My hope is to frame out the walls in my tiny basement shop. I've heard that the 'best' way to do this would be adhere rigid insulation to the foundation, followed by 2x4 framing with fiberglass insulation, and plywood/OSB for the walls. My problem with this method is that I'll be giving up close to 5 inches on each wall, shrinking my shop even further. In my research I came across this method from the This Old House crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKQdo88Ne74

The method attaches 2 inches of rigid insulation to the foundation followed by attaching horizontal furring strips to the foundation by driving 4 inch spring nails through the strips and insulation into the foundation. The paneling is then attached to the furring strips. On the surface this is a quick, effective, and cheaper alternative as it accomplishes several goals that I have in mind. First it saves space in the shop and allows flexibility in the future. The idea is to run electric through conduit that will be attached to the paneling. Should I decide to rearrange the shop, the conduit can be easily rerun. Likewise, I can also hang shelves and cabinets easily since the walls will be plywood. My major sticking point (beyond is this a wise way to go about doing it this way, of course) is how much weight I can safely attach to a wall held with spring nails. In other words, if I attach a cabinet that weighs say 100 pounds will this be supported? 200 pounds? What's the limit?

Thanks for your time,
John