Thread: Cutting curves and profiles in thick and heavy stock

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cutting curves and profiles in thick and heavy stock

Looking for the best approach for cutting ogee profiles in exposed rafter tails and an exposed ridge beam. The rafters are 3" by 6" and the beam is 6"x6". They are 14' long and pretty wet still, so they are beyond heavy. In other words, bringing them into my small shop and cutting them on the 20" laguna bandsaw is impossible/impractical. I think i have 30 ends to cut in total. The ideal solution looks to be Mafell's bandsaw, but that is a pricey acquisition for a small job, and i cant seem to find a cheaper alternative. My first thought was a jigsaw, and while it looks like i can get a 9" blade from bosch, i think this would be dreadfully slow. My 20v dewalt jigsaw has always been a little disappointing in anything but thin material. I think on a 6" cut, im going to have horrendous drift. Has anyone ever flipped a 10-12" bandsaw upside down and used it as a portable tool? Im not sure those models have a 6" throat, however, but they dont look like they are too heavy. Another solution is i avoid curves in the profile altogether and just bevel the ends, or a long taper with a shoulder cut. This project has been very time consuming for a simple shed and im at the point where i want to rush things along, but this is one of the few details that will actually show.
    Attached Images Attached Images