After 28 years it's time to install a new fence for our backyard. I put the current fence in on the cheap. That also describes the quality of the install. I'd like for this fence to be done right and not look like the redneck eye-sore that it has been. That said, we live on top of a hill quite a distance from the nearest neighbor and the only person who the fence has irritated is me! What I'd like is feedback on what I plan on doing. I've not yet started, so at this point I'm pretty much open to anything.

My current plan has me setting 8 foot 4x4 pressure treated posts 2 feet deep. The posts will have their ends sealed with FlexSeal (or some equivalent) to extend their longevity. The posts will rest on a bed of gravel and I will set them in concrete making sure to extend the concrete above grade to keep soil away from the posts.

The posts will be 92 1/2 inches apart, so I can screw 8 foot pressure treated 2x4s to their faces. Cedar or pressure treated (I haven't decided) pickets will be nailed to the fence rails. There will also be 2 gates that I'll build using half-lapped 2x4s. The only sticking point is that I'd like one section of the fence to be removable. My plan is to use a U-shaped bracket to allow the rails of the removable panel to rest in.

My hope is that this fence will give me at least as many years as my redneck fence of 28 years?

Thoughts? Have at it....

John