Thread: I broke my Dewalt DW705 miter saw.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I broke my Dewalt DW705 miter saw.

The blade guard on my Dewalt DW705 12" compound non-sliding miter saw cracked when I dropped it. Everything else seems to be in good shape. A replacement guard is going to cost me $100. I can buy a DW715 off Amazon which appears to be comparable for $229. Should I buy a $100 replacement guard for my 20 year old saw, a new comparable saw for $229, or look for something else?

I have no interest in a sliding compound miter saw (SCMS). I have never seen one that comes close to keeping an angle like a non-sliding saw. I own a 1947 - 7.5hp 16" RedStar 60A turret arm radial arm saw (predecessor to the Rockwell/Delta turret arm RAS's) that makes SCMS's bow their heads in shame. What matters to me is an accurate repeatable angle. A 12" blade is all the cut capacity I will ever need.

Are there any CMS that are any better than my old DW705? Are the new Dewalt CMS (DW715) as good as the original? Are there any new CMS's that would be an upgrade? ...that don't cost a fortune? Mainly for accuracy? Weight and portability don't matter to me. Dust collection... might matter a little. I see there are belt drive CMS's that give a touch more capacity. Do they have any other advantages other than a minor bit larger cut? Noise?

The one thing I have been disappointed in with my DW705 is the Irwin laser guide that replaces the retaining washer on the blade to give a nice laser guide line does not fit on my DW705.

Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Mike Schuch; 04-12-2020 at 2:10 AM.