Thread: Using Your Laser to Help in the Covid-19 Fight

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Using Your Laser to Help in the Covid-19 Fight

The New York Times posted this video, https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...us-news-update , on their home page today about people who are using lasers, 3D printers and waterjets to help solve the supply problem regarding PPE (personal protection equipment) for healthcare workers.

I received an email back from one of the GA Tech professors in the video. He said that if we really want to help we should submit our information at the link at the bottom of this page: https://pwp.gatech.edu/rapid-response/face-shields/ . They will use the information to coordinate resources.

FYI, the form isn’t very well structured. Just start filling out the information and it will begin to make sense. Skip all the stuff about hospitals and click the arrow in the lower right corner of each page to move forward. For the capability question, I noted my laser wattage, laser tube type (CO2 versus RF) and bed size just so they have a decent idea about my capabilities.

You can download and see the files at that link. Also, watch the short video. I think they have further refined the design since making that video. Note how they cut the replaceable clear face shield material on the Trotec using a roll of PETG. In his email today, the professor mentioned they are really looking for waterjet cutters for the frame. Since they specified polycarbonate, I can understand why. That isn’t the easiest to cut with a laser.

Please pass along this link to other laser owners you know. Get them to fill out the form IF IF IF you think they are the type of person to really follow through and be dedicated to helping.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 03-25-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment