Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
Just to be up front, the window I was dealing with was almost 8' wide and 4' tall. I'm happy with the 1' "slit window" I now have, but if it had been just a regular window, I probably wouldn't have bothered with changing things.
This is a very good point. It's hard for the forum to evaluate just how much space is needed for tool and lumber storage. I realize that the OP has posted a few pictures, but it's still hard to judge, without seeing the rest of the space, or knowing what tools are going to be used. A 8'x4' wide window is a lot of space on my 2 car garage, but wouldn't be in a 40'x80' pole barn. I notice that Jimmy DiResta just had a new shop built, with some very large windows, but he's also got enough space to park a couple of semi trucks as well.

Another thing to consider is how important being economical on heating and cooling is. I personally have my space as sealed as I can make it, and with the efficiencies of a minisplit, do not notice a great deal of money spent to heat and cool. Windows are universally bad when it comes to R value. I've currently got an R value of 16 on my walls, due to fiberglass bats at R-13, and 1" of extruded foam (R-4), but your typical window has an R value of 2 - 3.

Even if you do not actively heat and cool, just having a decent insulation factor can smooth out the highs and lows of temperature fluctuation, allowing the shop to be much more comfortable to work in.