Thread: Delta 17-925 drill press problem

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Delta 17-925 drill press problem

I have a Delta 17-925 variable speed (Reeves type). I believe it is a Type 1 because it does not list type anywhere. I posted on this several years ago, but still have problems. It's maybe 15 years old.

It is smooth going through the speed range until it gets above 2000 RPM, when it starts to shudder. At about 2500 or so, the belt gets stuck and stops suddenly. I then have to get out a strap wrench, wrap it around the chuck and turn it by hand back and forth until the belt pops free.

Watching it run with the top open, it is easy to see the belt is nice and tight until it reaches that speed, at which time the belt starts wiggling back and forth, vibrating, and eventually the front pulley locks it up and the machine stops. It is always the front pulley that grabs the belt, and up until that time both pulleys seem to be fine.

I can see the rear pulley open and close, but cannot tell if the front one moves. I have lubed them.

I see a jam nut on top of the front pulley, which has about one thread showing above it. If I try to tighten it, would that help? It looks to me like the front pulley is too wide open, allowing the belt to bottom out?

This model has a two speed lever. Could this have anything to do with the problem. I have never taken the time to figure out how that part works.

I have already checked out the Parts.com pics.

Ideas?
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 11-25-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.