On a recent visit to my local Rockeler store, I was looking for my old favorite GF Arm-R-Seal and noticed a product new to me called Old Masters Gel Polyurethane. (Since then I have found other gel polys.) From the label I see some advantages to using it as opposed to traditional oil based poly – most obviously the fact that it is a wipe-on and buff-off product with no chance for drips and runs.

I am curious if anyone has used gel polyurethanes and what your experiences were:
1) What consistency are they ? Semi-liquid like most gel stains? or more like paste waxes?
2) After being opened do they dry up or skin over in the can like regular varnishes ? or do they maintain their consistency like gel stains and paste waxes and not dry out?
3) Did you like the end results? Any complaints or advice from your experiences?

While I like Arm-R-Seal (and I most often use it in wipe-on fashion), I can see some advantages to the gel polys if they work as labeled. But if it is just another finish that dries up in the can, I can see where most of a can could go to waste before being used up.

Interested in any comments you may have.

Thanks in advance.
- Al Heitz