So I've got a small cabinet shop and I run a "powermatic" 7.5 hp ts 110 shaper (made by SAC) with a 1hp 3 wheel powermatic feed. I have a custom made 3 knife insert head that I run all my cope and stick with. The set-up has been solid but when I started to run my current job the 2nd piece I ran shot out like a bullet. I moved the feed away from the table to scuff and laquer the feed wheels (they are old and spin on material from time to time but have never allowed a kickback before), readjusted pressure and feed angles, tightened the head, and started feeding pieces. 4 more pieces ran fine then another broke loose and that stomach wrenching sound. I have been setting up and running shapers for years and have not encountered this level of repeated kickback. Please help me figure out what's going wrong. Here is my setup. 3/4 thick 2 1/2" wide oak rail and style, I'm removing a light 1/8", backfence, climbcut, slow feed rate. I know "you shouldn't be climb cutting" will come up but I have rarely had issues when using a feed and taking relatively light passes, I also prefer the cleaner cut it creates and feeding from the opposite side of the machine that boards rarely but sometimes shoot out of.

I'm currently under the impression that my feed wheels are so far gone that they are simply letting boards fly. Any input is appreciated.

Jared