Thread: Making a scarf joint, HOW TO?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Making a scarf joint, HOW TO?

I have the need for some longer pieces of wood. Therefore I have started trying to make scarf joints. I have had some success, some less than successful result.

What I am doing is make cold bent fly fishing nets. I start with various wood strips cut 0.065" [1/16"] T x 1.5" W and about 6' L. Then glue 7 or 8 strips together and form or bend over a well made pattern, using lots of clamps. The radius of the form is about 4" at the tightest. SUCCESS.

But I have some very beautiful exotic woods that are significantly less than minimum length required. I have tried to glue up using a 'Scarf Joint'. My trials have been using a 12 degree scarf on both of the two pieces of wood. Using Tite Bond PolyU, pre misting the wood which is about 8 to 10 % mc. I glue with wood strip that are 0.125" thick, then sanding down in the wide belt sander to 0.065" finish. About 65% success when I glue and bend as described above.

What can I do to improve my results. [Steam is not and option] Should I use a more tapered longer joint [8 or 10 degree taper]? Or a less tapered shorter joint [16 to 20 degree]?. Obviously, non waterproof glue is not an option.
    Last edited by Ira Matheny; 11-03-2019 at 1:53 PM. Reason: clarification