Thread: Attaching legs to a walnut nesting piece.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Attaching legs to a walnut nesting piece.

Hello, everyone. My name is Steve and I am a 1st-time poster and relative newcomer to furniture repair. I have had some furniture refinishing experience. I hope this is the appropriate forum to discuss this kind of problem.

Issue: one part of a walnut nesting set that needs its legs reattached. I have provided pictures to help, as I don't know the relevant terminology. The top of the piece is heavy for its size, 12-15 lbs, owing mainly to its marble inset. Obviously, the re-attached legs have to support that weight, and I am struggling to figure out how to attach the legs accordingly.

These original legs--all four are detached now--are 1" x 1" at the top. The area on the underside of the top of the piece, where the top of the legs meet the top of the piece is, 1 1/4" x 1 1/4".
    Initially, I thought about threaded inserts for the legs, but there is no room to twist a leg onto the insert because the leg presses up tightly to the rest of the piece. The only other thing I could think of was to glue the touching surfaces and drive nails into the wood from the outside, then use a nail punch to drive the head of the nail below the exterior surface--to then later fill the holes with wood putty. I have no idea how feasible that plan is, however, or whether it is substantial enough to support the weight of the piece.

Again, I am a newcomer, and would appreciate any contributions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Wynne; 10-15-2019 at 4:14 PM.