Thread: Tip for Domino layouts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tip for Domino layouts

I'm using dominoes to join the legs and stretchers of my workbench. There are two different layouts, and mirror images of them, and 4 different combinations of depths. Each joint has four mortises, 2 at normal width and 2 at wide width. A total of 96 mortises to machine. All the stock is 4x4 so you can't tell orientation at a glance like you could with rectangular pieces.

I'm fairly new to the domino and I don't want to screw this up. I know a miscut mortise can be plugged and re-machined, but would like to avoid that. I decided I wanted to mark all the mortises rough location, depth, and width, as well as indicate which sides were the reference faces. So after I made my test pieces, I sliced off a thin section of each layout, and used them to mark all the pieces parts. Of course I will use the domino built in guides when doing the machining, but at least I can easily identify the correct reference faces and settings for each mortise.

I'll be doing the machining tomorrow; we'll see if I get them all right.

First pic shows the slices I used as marking templates, second photo a few marked pieces.

DSC_0315a.jpg

DSC_0317a.jpg

edit: Forgot to mention...the mirror image pieces are easy, just flip the template around and mark from the other side.
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 08-15-2019 at 8:16 PM.