Thread: Festool Domino pull-apart strength in face to end grain butt joint

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Festool Domino pull-apart strength in face to end grain butt joint

When using the domino joiner to join a 90 degree butt joint, I understand the domino that goes into the end grain is very strong because the majority of glue surface is long grain to long grain. But the other end of the domino that goes into the face is long grain (domino portion) to end grain, with the wood exception of the bottom and the sides of the mortise which is a small portion of it.

The sheer strength would seem to be very strong, but what about the pull-out strength? I’ve done a lot searching but can’t find this specific question addressed. I’m inclined to use a coupe of screws to increase the pull-out strength but I’m not sure if that’s necessary. This is a bookcase which won’t be seeing a lot of abuse, but it’s around 75 lbs and moving it would likely be done by applying that pull-out force lifting the majority of the weight.

The wood is 3/4” thick and 11” wide and I’ll be using four 5x30 dominos in each butt joint with Titebond II or Quick n Thick.
    6682A34C-5789-4466-B381-28A0FAE5FFF6.jpg30425F73-F311-40F2-A53B-BC9595A21AD7.jpg
    Last edited by Bennett Ostroff; 02-24-2019 at 5:08 PM.