Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So this is where I landed after a couple hours here and there after a week. I think I probably have maybe three hours max into the rip fence it’s fold down support, the workpiece clamp and whatever else I took on this week. Oh the main support for the outrigger fence that I don’t have pictures of yet.

I am compelled after the work this week to make note of just how well made this machine is. What I can’t help take notice of is how simple but highly functional, purpose driven and effective every last piece is. It’s really just something special if you are a maker. Perfection in simplicity. My favorite ratty old baseball cap reads “live Simply” and this saw optimizes that.

In my work I often have to design this or that and or figure out how to make this detail or that detail work with each other. Or take a picture off a napkin or drawing from architect and not only make it something you can really build vrs a pretty picture but sort out the subtle details that only the guy building it will see or be aware of until it’s all done and it looks beautiful or like a turd. So often this aspect of the work can wrack your brain and at times you can complicate something that should and could be so simple. I’m always impressed with those that intuitively come up with simple subtle effective design decisions on the fly I identify this skill directly with Intelligence. And I’m not saying I’m all that good at it, I’m saying I’m impreseed when people are. This saw is one of those rare things that they just got everything right. Well I have yet to look under the lid so maybe I speak to soon but I’m inclined to think not.

The parts you see are pretty much ready to be cleaned and primed. Anything chrome, aluminum plastic whatever is just at a base stage to work it all back up to a polish or plate as good as new.

At the moment I’m inclined to plate all the existing chrome and aluminum parts brass if I can as I think the brass and vintage green will be a really sweet and classy look. The brass will not be polished but maybe brushed or mate.

I have been making it a priority to put everything all the way back together after I tear it down to prep it for primer and paint. It’s pretty awesome as it is giving me a real intimate understanding of exactly how the machine works. I think this will come to be very valuable as the owner and user of the machine long term. It should help me get the machine calibrated a bit more easily if nothing else as after taking everything apart then putting it all back together you really just understand exactly how every part works.

Anyway dinner time. Tomorrow it’s back to the doors and French polish.

683C3608-3166-4937-A393-999E49B9D855.jpg

44EDA517-6336-423F-98C6-5A2DFD3B334D.jpg

63BE2A5F-521B-4E74-AA7A-1F2192368700.jpg

9B6E7D15-1C26-487A-969D-482351763F36.jpg

18EA63CD-2ADD-4EE9-BAAD-F348182F039A.jpg

Next week I’ll get a spray gun primer and filler. I also get the sliding table off hopefully early in the week. I’m gonna need help so that’s kinda not dependent on just me. I’m not sure if I should remove the whole table then take the two pieces apart. Or if I should try and removing the top of the sliding table from the bottom of the sliding table leaving the bottom of the sliding table connected to the base. I’m gonna have to poke around a bit more before I decide.

Any Insite from other owners is welcome
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 01-18-2019 at 8:40 PM.